Maybe not many of you have heard of semolina, but I love having semolina porridge for my breakfast. It has comforting texture and taste as well as it is light on my stomach. Some benefits of semolina are:
- It is digested slowly so you can feel full without overeating.
- It improves kidney function, thanks to its potassium content.
- It can be served with any kind of vegetables or fruits.
- It is a good source of vitamin E and B – essential for good immunity from disease.
- It is a quick and nourishing source of energy.
- Great option for vegetarians and vegans
Today I am sharing with you a healthy recipe for semolina porridge that can be made just in 8 minutes.
- 1/3 cup semolina
- 1 cup milk or 1 cup water
- Chopped fruits of your choice (I love strawberries, blueberries, goji berries or raspberries)
- Add raw semolina to boiling water/milk, add some salt and cook over a medium heat, stirring, until it is as thick as you want it (3-5 minutes).
- Add fruits, nuts or chocolate nibbles for taste.
Semolina I use
Semolina is a great option for quick and healthy breakfast, below I attach the semolina which I use.
Is semolina porridge healthy?
Semolina is high in fiber, protein, vitamins E and B and a great iron source, it is beneficial for heart health, digestive system and weight management. (Source: 1, 2, 3, 4) Majority of population can enjoy it without any issues, however as it contains gluten and wheat small number of consumers might be intolerant to it. It is recommended to trail it first in your diet and see what is your tolerance.
How do you eat semolina?
Due to its high gluten content, semolina provides great structure for many types of pastas and breads. It’s also a great addition to smoothies, cereals or puddings. Similarly to regular flour, it can be also used to thicken a sauce or a stew.
Is semolina the same as cornmeal?
No, semolina is made from durum wheat, when cornmeal is ground dried corn. They both are sold in a coarse form with similar texture, however they are produced from different crops.
Is semolina the same as cream of wheat?
Semolina and Cream of Wheat are not the same. They are both produced by the same process, however Semolina is made from durum wheat, while Cream of Wheat is made from varieties of wheat.
How To Cook Semolina With Water
In a pot, heat up water to almost boiling, 80°C. Continue sprinkling semolina while mixing with spoon until desirable consistency is achieved. It’s recommended to use a mixture of milk and water for better flavor.
The semolina can be cooked in milk, water or a combination of the two. You can make it as thick/sweet as you like by adding less or more water/milk and fruits of your choice. ENJOY!
We want you to know! Some links on this page may be affiliate links. We may earn a small commission from what you buy.
It will never cost you extra, or make us bias, but helps us run this blog and occasionally get a good cup of coffee.
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.